U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree

U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree
The Tree on its way out of Bridger-Teton National Forest

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Tree Hits the East Coast

Friday, November 26, 2010 - The U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree made its way up the east coast today, signaling the final leg of our nearly three week journey. The Tree will be delivered to the U.S. Capitol bright and early Monday morning leaving us with only two more stops after today. We cannot believe how quickly the trip has flown by!

We made our first pit-stop this morning in Troutman, North Carolina where we visited Wilco Travel Center. The incredible staff there actually had lunch waiting for us upon arrival along with snacks for the road. I realize I may sound like a broken record, but the thoughtfulness and generosity of all the people we meet along the way is just incredible. We must be the best fed and most well taken care of group in the country! Check out this video of our new friends at the Wilco Travel Plaza in Troutman, North Carolina.


After fueling up, we made our way to Staunton, Virginia. The Salvation Army handed out beverages to the crowd and a local radio station provided Christmas music at the celebration. Hundreds of folks showed up to see the Tree and we were delighted to have the opportunity to talk about the Tree and the great state of Wyoming. We were also fortunate to have the City of Staunton Fire and Rescue come water the Tree for us.

The crowd in Staunton, Virginia.

The City of Staunton Fire and Rescue came by to help us water the Tree.

Performers from the Stauton Academy of Ballet came by to see the Tree after a performance in their Nutcracker costumes!
After dinner, the team checked in to the Comfort Inn in Staunton where kind notes and bags of candy awaited us! Thank you to the Comfort Inn for making our stay so special!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know the Tree Entourage made it to Staunton, VA safely. It was a wonderful experience having the tree in Dahlonega. I know it was special for the entire community, and also Mr. Underwood, as he got the opportunity to bring the tree to the people of his hometown. It was an event that for most is a once in a lifetime experience. I have been fortunate to experience a number of special events like this in my life; however, this was so amazing knowing what all is involved in making this event possible and one more I can add to my list. I felt like I was 10 years old again. My Dad would probably say I act like a 10 year old because I just a big kid when it comes to special things like the 2010 Capitol Tree. I know Mr. Underwood is excited to be driving the tree and doing something special for so many people and I’m sure this will be a trip he will never forget. It was an exciting departure of the tree this morning as Mr. Underwood had to back the 105-foot flatbed trailer up Main Street and blowing the horn as he got back on the road to the last few towns before reaching its ultimate destination: The Nation’s Capitol. Thank you Team Tree for selecting Mr. Underwood to drive the tree this year and for adding Dahlonega as one of the stops on the 2010 Capitol Tree Tour. You guys helped get the Christmas Season started for me and a lot of others, I’m sure. I hope you continue to have a safe trip to York and Hershey, PA and on to Washington, D.C., where the tree will finally be placed at the Capitol and beautifully decorated with Wyoming’s western themed ornaments and lights. I’m sure all of Team Tree is excited knowing you’re almost there. I look forward to reading more as you make your way to the last two stops before arriving in Washington, D.C. Thanks for making this so special and fun. I'll never grow up now!

    ReplyDelete